Welcome to selenium automation tutorials. In this selenium tutorials, you will learn selenium basics and advanced concepts, core java basics and selenium interview questions.
What is Testing:
It is a process of testing the software to verify that it meets the specific user requirements and to find defects or errors in the application under test. It is of two types.
- Manual Testing
- Automation Testing
Disadvantages of Manual Testing:
- It is very time-consuming.
- For each and every sprint or release you have to run the same set of test cases.
- Selenium is a free and open source test automation tool for testing web applications.
- Results were less accurate.
- In case of database-related testing, comparing huge amounts of data is not possible.
Automation means using a software to do the operations like login, page verification, report comparisons, clicking on a link or button etc. It involves automating the manual process to reduce the effort, time and cost. Automation Testing is done by third-party tools like QTP, Selenium, TOSCA, and RFT (Rational Functional Tester) etc.
Selenium can be installed on most of the operating systems like
- Apple iOS etc.
Cross browser testing is possible using selenium i.e., we can run the test scripts in different browsers like
- Safari etc.
Selenium is a suite of tools having various testing functions used to test all types of web applications. One of the key features in selenium is “Multi-browser testing“.
Selenium is a suite of tools. It has four components.
- Selenium Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- Selenium Remote Control (RC) / Selenium 1
- Selenium Grid
It is very simple to use and it is script recording tool. It is implemented as an extension of chrome and firefox and allows us to record, edit and debug the scripts.
- Recording and playback of the scripts is easy.
- Web elements or fields will be identified by using IDs, Links, Names and Xpaths etc.
- Debugging and setting break points is easy.
- Firebug is used to locate the web element values.
It allows us to write automated test scripts for web UI. Many programming languages are used to write scripts. Selenium RC has two parts.
Server – Browser related actions like launching and closing of the browsers are taken care by the server.
Libraries – Used to write automated scripts in desired programming language.
It is a newly implemented major change in the selenium suite. Users can run the scripts locally or remotely (with the help of selenium server). Selenium WebDriver is simple and more concise programming language and it also addresses the limitations of selenium RC.
- Selenium WebDriver overcomes the limitation of Selenium RC’s Single Host origin policy
Selenium2 = Selenium1 + WebDriver
- Open source and free
- It directly interacts with the browser.
- Selenium supports different programming languages like Java, dotnet (.net), Python, PHP, Pearl and Ruby.
- Selenium WebDriver supports HtmlUnit driver.
- Easy of implementation.
- In-built/default result generation/reports generation capability is missing.
- Bar codes and CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) can not be automated.
- It cannot support windows based applications.
Click here to learn more about selenium.
Learn How to select a dropdown using Selenium WebDriver
Learn How to find website rank using a particular keyword using Selenium WebDriver
Learn TestNG and annotation.
Learn Top 25 selenium interview questions.
Learn How to handle mouse hover actions using Selenium WebDriver.
Learn WebElement actions in Selenium.
Learn How to take screenshot using Selenium WebDriver.
Learn How to handle alerts in Selenium WebDriver.
Learn Navigate commands in Selenium WebDriver.
Learn Implicit wait and Explicit wait in Selenium.
Learn Convert string to int in java.
Learn Exceptions in Selenium WebDriver.
Tags: Selenium automation tutorials, Selenium WebDriver, Selenium Interview Questions